Tuesday, December 7, 2010

McCarver 'Caps: MNF Jets-Patriots

A recap of the Monday Night Football game between the Jets and the Patriots, in the words of Tim McCarver...  

Although one player resembled Broadway Joe last night, he was not playing for the Jets.  For those of you that don't know, Joe Namath had the nickname Broadway Joe, and played for AFL New York Jets.  He also had long hair, and if you looked carefully last night, you would see that Tom Brady had long hair as well.  However, Brady plays for the Patriots, so obviously he cannot play for the Jets, but with the Jets on the field and with Brady's long hair, I was reminded of Broadway Joe

The reason I make that comparison is because Broadway Joe was a great football player with long hair who played in cold climates, just like Brady.  If you ask any great cold climate quarterback the secret to their success, which I have, they will tell you that keeping your hands warm is the key.  But what you may not know is that blowing on your hands help to keep your hands warm in cold climates.  Now, if you watch Brady closely, you can see that he consistently blows on his hands like other great cold climate quarterbacks.  Obviously, the reason he does this is to keep his hands warm.

As I watched the game last night I noticed that Brady blew on his hands an average of 3.6 times per play.  Interestingly, Mark SanCHEZ--the quarterback for the New York Jets--only blew on his hands an average of 2.7 times per play.  Not surprisingly, Brady was able to make four touchdown passes while SanCHEZ didn't manage any.

After the game I asked Brady whether blowing on his hands made a difference in his play--he said he wasn't sure.  But if you look carefully at the stats, which I have, you can tell that the quarterback who blew on his hands more had greater success in the cold weather last night.    I can't be sure if this is significant, but it is obviously no coincidence. The reason I can be certain this is no coincidence is because when you compare all the great quarterbacks' ratio of hand blows to plays, adjusted for average temperature on their home field, they average 3.57 which is nearly the same as Tom Brady's average of 3.6.  

When I asked Rex Ryan whether he thought his quarterback should blow on his hands more, he told me that I should blow him.  I don't think he understood what I was saying, then again his team scored three points, and Tom Brady's team scored 45, so maybe he should blow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment